Fitch Law Partners LLP has extensive experience representing clients in international litigation and international arbitrations. We represent clients throughout the world, including businesses and individuals from China, Hong Kong, The United Kingdom, France, Germany, Colombia, Brazil, South Africa, Israel and Dubai. All of them have serious problems that, often by reason of a contractual provision, must be resolved in international arbitration or litigation in courts of the United States.
We have attorneys who are fluent in Spanish, French, German, Russian and Italian. We are highly experienced in assisting our international clients develop winning strategies for cases in an environment that is both unfamiliar and seemingly inaccessible to the outsider.
The international cases we handle involve sizable commercial contract disputes, technology, license and patent disputes, business-related torts, including claims for misrepresentation and fraud, admiralty and maritime matters, and actions for the enforcement of judgments rendered by foreign courts. We also represent clients in complex cross-border, close corporation and executive employment matters.
Jeffrey A. Soilson is a member of the International Academy of Family Lawyers and works in the areas of international divorce and child custody.
The lawyers who lead our international litigation and arbitration practice are Partners Jonathan W. Fitch and Jeffrey A. Soilson, who are joined by Associates Robert T. Dunlap, Ashly E. Scheufele and Carlos A. Maycotte. View their individual profiles for more information about them. Also we invite you to visit our International Litigation and Arbitration Blog.
In representative matters from our international arbitration and litigation practice:
- We obtained a settlement of $18,250,000 for a client based in Hong Kong in arbitration proceedings before International Centre for Dispute Resolution. The settlement of this commercial contract case was reached after we won the liability phase but before the damages phase of the arbitration commenced.
- We successfully represented a group of Dutch entrepreneurs who brought suit regarding a failed joint venture with a Fortune 500 company in the U.S.
- We brought suit in federal court in Massachusetts and successfully gained recognition and enforcement of a judgment in Belgium.
- We obtained a very favorable settlement for a group of American portfolio managers seeking to break off from a U.K.-based corporation.
- We won an award of damages for an American company in an action arising from a failed business venture with a Swedish corporation.
- We represented the interests of a Swedish Credit Union that was defrauded by its former president in an elaborate Ponzi Scheme.
- We have advised a business based in Dubai with claims against two American companies for violations of joint venture agreements.
- We represent the interests of a Brazilian company in an action for breach of contract against a U.S. Corporation.
- In the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, we filed claims on behalf of a Brazilian company for damages caused by the failure of a Massachusetts company to maintain patent protection for certain technology products, as required under a license agreement.
- We represented a Japanese corporation, which is one of the world's largest general contractors, in federal court action in Massachusetts, concerning the installation of a defective roof at a manufacturing facility in Malaysia.
- We successfully represented an foreign exchange trading company seeking damages in a federal court action against a manufacturer of high frequency trading software on claims for breach of warranties and violations of a state statute outlawing unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- We counsel a Brazilian company with an action pending in Court in Sao Paulo against a U.S. supplier of automotive equipment for wrongful failure to maintain patent protections.
- In a matter before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, we represented the former Chairman of a large investment company based in London, Hong Kong and Boston, in a multi-count action against numerous defendants for wrongful termination of his employment contract. We negotiated a favorable settlement for him before the matter reached the hearing stage.
In addition to advocacy, Jonathan W. Fitch is a member of the panel of arbitrators of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the international division of the American Arbitration Association. Mr. Fitch has extensive experience as an emergency arbitrator, sole arbitrator, panelist and panel chair in commercial arbitrations. The ICDR is a preeminent international arbitral institution, which conducts arbitrations throughout the world.