Alessandra (“Alle”) Wingerter focuses her practice on environmental and land use law, including zoning, wetlands, and permitting issues, environmental contamination disputes, conservation access and restrictions, real estate, and governmental and administrative law. She regularly works with private, public and non-profit clients at all stages of litigation – from the local to appellate levels.
Education And Distinctions
More About Alessandra Wingerter
Ms. Wingerter’s areas of expertise include Wetlands Protection Act, local zoning regulations, easements, conservation restrictions, deed restrictions, Hazardous Material Release Prevention Act (G.L. c. 21E), Massachusetts Public Waterfront Act (Chapter 91), Article 97, Massachusetts Administrative Procedures Act, and the Open Meeting Law. She has represented clients before permitting authorities such as the Martha’s Vineyard Commission, municipal zoning boards of appeal, city and town planning boards, and conservation commissions. Ms. Wingerter also has experience with government and election law, including campaign finance and ballot initiatives. She has served as a voter protection volunteer.
Prior to private practice, Ms. Wingerter served as a law clerk for the Honorable Paul A. Suttell, Chief Justice of the Rhode Island State Supreme Court, and the Honorable Gordon H. Piper, Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Land Court. While completing her dual degree program, Ms. Wingerter was an intern at the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office and at the Environmental Protection Agency.
Cases of Note
- Coauthored amicus brief in a significant land-use case involving the power of land trusts to remedy violations of conservation restrictions.
- Worked to successfully oppose to a preliminary injunction on behalf of a conservation organization, which would have blocked the public’s use of an easement to access the organization’s land.
- While serving as an intern, substantially assisted the Attorney General’s Office in drafting an amicus brief submitted to the SJC, in a case of significant import involving Article 97.
- The Honorable Paul A. Suttell, Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Rhode Island, Clerkship
- The Honorable Gordon H. Piper, Associate Justice, Massachusetts Land Court, Clerkship
Professional Activities and Associations
- Environmental Law Institute Emerging Leaders Initiative
- Boston Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association
- Environmental Law
- Land Use Law
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” (Environmental Litigation)