Carlos A. Maycotte
Mr. Maycotte concentrates on family law and has practiced in the fields of international arbitration and litigation, business litigation, commercial litigation, and general civil litigation. He has extensive trial experience representing clients in a wide variety of family law matters. Mr. Maycotte currently serves as Co-Chair of the Family Law Section of the Boston Bar Association. He has earned his certification as a Certified Financial Litigator from the American Academy of Certified Financial Litigators. He is a frequent panelist at family law seminars and discussion groups.
Education And Distinctions
- Boston University School of Law, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.A.
- Co-Chair of the Family Law Section of the Boston Bar Association
- A Best Lawyer in America® in Family Law since 2019
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers® Rising Star since 2017
- Certified Financial Litigator from the American Academy of Certified Financial Litigators
More About Carlos A. Maycotte
As part of his family law practice, Mr. Maycotte has represented clients in a variety of cases involving divorce, custody, removal, and paternity claims. Mr. Maycotte has ample trial and court experience, representing clients in connection with child support, alimony, parenting time, and divorce modification issues. He has negotiated dozens of settlement agreements on behalf of clients, helping them put a difficult situation behind them while securing the successful resolution of their cases. He also drafts and negotiates prenuptial agreements on behalf of his clients.
In his international arbitration and litigation practice, Mr. Maycotte represented a foreign, multi-national company in a complex, multi-million-dollar arbitration against a publicly-traded Massachusetts corporation, participating in a two-week arbitration. Mr. Maycotte has been invited to speak on panels at Boston University School of Law in connection with his experience representing international clients. He has also represented clients in matters involving commercial and business litigation, including partnership disputes, contract disputes, and real estate disputes.
Mr. Maycotte is FITCH’s pro bono coordinator. He has extensive pro bono experience as a volunteer attorney for Kids in Need of Defense (KIND), focusing on the representation of unaccompanied immigrant minors facing removal from the United States. Along with other attorneys at FITCH, he represented five minors in removal proceedings and in parallel litigation in state courts, successfully helping all five of them obtain permanent resident status and the dismissal of the removal proceedings. He has been interviewed and quoted for NBC News stories about the plight of unaccompanied immigrant minors, which focused on one of his clients.
Mr. Maycotte is actively involved in the Cornell community and serves as the Immediate Past President of the Board of the Cornell Club of Boston. He is also a member of the Cornell Alumni Ambassadors Network, as well the Cornell Alumni Student-Mentoring Program.
Mr. Maycotte speaks several languages. He has native-speaker proficiency in Spanish, is fluent in Italian and German, and can understand written Portuguese.
Teaching and Publications
- Case Comment, Ventrice v. Ventrice, 87 Mass. App. Ct. 190 (2015), Massachusetts Law Review, Vol. 98, No. 2, 2016
- Case Comment, Bower v. Bournay-Bower, 469 Mass. 690 (2014), Massachusetts Law Review, Vol. 98, No. 2, 2016
- The New “Documents Only” Subpoena Under Recently Amended Mass. R. Civ. P. 45, Boston Bar Journal, Vol. 59, No. 3, 2015
Professional Activities and Associations
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Steering Committee, Family Law Section of the Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Immediate Past President, Cornell Club of Boston
- Member, Cornell Alumni Ambassadors Network
- Member, Cornell Alumni Student-Mentoring Program
- Admitted to the Massachusetts and New York state bars, the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, and the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- “I had a terrific experience with Carlos. Throughout what could have been a trying ordeal, he maintained a level of calm, thoughtfulness and professionalism that enabled all parties to make real progress. He is extremely responsive, and as a lawyer myself, I really appreciated his ability to clearly and concisely explain legal concepts in an area with which I was unfamiliar. Carlos’s friendly demeanor also made it very easy to work with him — I’ve seen my share of attorneys who are difficult and unlikable, and knowing that our interactions would be painless always kept me relieved. Above all, Carlos provided sound advice and solid work product in a timely, efficient manner.”
- “I had never needed a lawyer before and was new to the whole legal experience. We were interviewing many lawyers and decided to go with Carlos at our first consultation. It was an emotional time, Carlos listened and was professional through the entire process. Carlos understood the complexity of the situation and helped me to see things more simply. I felt supported through the entire process, he explained things in a way that helped to make sense of all legal jargon. I would recommend Carlos to anyone who is going through a divorce or custody battle. The whole team at [FITCH] was amazing!”
- “I was very pleased to have Carlos Maycotte on my team. I found him to be very conscientious and caring. He was very thoughtful in terms of keeping me informed every step of the way with phone calls and timely emails. I most appreciated his relaxed and calming manner. At times when I found myself totally frustrated with the plaintiff’s pitbull (attorney), Carlos was there to help me navigate the litigation process with genuine care. Furthermore, Carlos has continued to contact me to check on me and to make sure all the appropriate steps are being completed. Carlos has my highest recommendation. You will be happy to have Carlos by your side.”
- “I was represented in my divorce case against my ex-husband by two FITCH attorneys, Carlos Maycotte and another, more senior attorney. This review is for Carlos, with whom I had more frequent and extensive interactions. Interacting with Carlos, I felt that he must have been at the top of his class in law school, because he clearly knew what he was doing, and is a rising star. He remained completely on top of all the details of my case, answered questions immediately and professionally, and for more complex technical questions, researched them and returned with thoughtful and scholarly answers backed by literature and case histories. His insights directly resulted in considerable financial gains in my divorce case. When it came time to draft our separation contract, Carlos dotted all the i’s and crossed all the t’s. No stone was left unturned. I would recommend him highly to all friends and colleagues, as someone who will work tirelessly to support and advocate for you, and who backs that zeal with rigor and scholarship.”