Steven E. Gurdin
For 30 years, Mr. Gurdin has been representing clients in complex family law and Probate, Will and Trust Litigation matters. Mr. Gurdin’s professionalism, skill, advocacy and leadership has been recognized and honored by the Boston Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, American Academy for Certified Financial Litigators, and various peer reviews including being named a top 100 Super Lawyer in both New England and Massachusetts and Best Lawyers in America publication. Mr. Gurdin’s clients appreciate and recognize that he brings zealous advocacy, exceptional problem solving skills, thorough knowledge of the substantive law, and sensitivity to the complexities and emotional realities of each client’s situation.
Education And Distinctions
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D.
- Emory University, B.A.
- Named as a “Top 100 New England Super Lawyers®”
- Named as a “Top 100 Massachusetts Super Lawyers®”
- Named to Chambers and Partners Family/Matrimonial
- A Best Lawyers in America® in Family Law and Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Ranked AV Preeminent®, by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Certified Financial Litigator from the American Academy for Certified Litigators®
- Recognized as a “top volunteering individual” by MCLE in its Annual Report
More About Steven E. Gurdin
Mr. Gurdin’s civil litigation practice is concentrated in the areas of Family Law and Probate, Will and Trust Litigation. Mr. Gurdin represents clients in all aspects of family law including, divorce proceedings, paternity actions, child removal actions, modification and contempt actions, child custody disputes, grandparent visitation actions, domestic violence, and alimony and child support issues. Mr. Gurdin regularly prepares and negotiates pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements. Mr. Gurdin has extensive experience in representing clients in complex financial issues relating to divorce such as business and real estate valuation, forensic accountings, structuring support payments, and properly analyzing the tax implications when dividing sizeable marital assets. Mr. Gurdin has significant experience representing clients in child custody disputes and working closely with court appointed Guardians Ad Litem and forensic psychologists and psychiatrists. Mr. Gurdin has experience litigating matters involving issues relating to de facto parents and same sex relationships.
Mr. Gurdin is skilled in the complexities of Probate, Will And Trust Litigation. Mr. Gurdin represents clients in will contests, actions regarding the interpretation and reformation of trusts, guardianship and conservatorship actions. Mr. Gurdin actively represents clients who are fiduciaries and beneficiaries regarding the proper administration of trusts and estates. Mr. Gurdin has successfully represented numerous attorneys and professional fiduciaries in contested proceedings in the Probate and Family Courts and Superior Courts.
Cases of Note
As An Advocate
- After a multi-day trial, secured a favorable alimony award that allowed client to maintain her home and lifestyle enjoyed during a long term marriage.
- After a lengthy trial, succeeded in obtaining the Court’s permission for client to remove his three children from Massachusetts to New York.
- Obtained a sizable child support arrearage and payment plan for client after trial.
- Successfully represented client in a real estate partition trial, resulting in client receiving the subject property at a favorable value.
- Succeeded in mediation in protecting client’s sizable inheritance from being divided in the marital estate property division.
- Succeeded in obtaining an agreed value for client’s business that then resulted in a favorable resolution of the divorce after a multi-day mediation.
- After a multi-day mediation succeeded in equitably dividing opposing parties’ stock options and restricted stock units.
- Succeeded in resolving a divorce matter in a private and discrete fashion for a client who was CEO of a widely known and respected Massachusetts employer.
- Successfully resolved a divorce matter for an elected public official without impacting client’s political aspirations.
- Obtained summary judgment in a will contest causing the decedent’s will to be probated and assets distributed in accordance with his intentions.
- Successfully removed a trustee for self-dealing and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Succeeded in obtaining primary physical custody of client’s children and transferring the children to a superior public school system.
- After extensive discovery and a forensic accounting analysis, succeeded in obtaining a favorable property division and alimony buy out for client.
- Prevailed in child removal action permitting child to be removed to Florida, thereby allowing client to live with her Husband in Florida.
Teaching and Publications
As An Advocate
- Panelist, MCLE’s Family Law Case update
- Moderator, Boston Bar Association Bench/Bar Program with four Justices of the Suffolk County Probate and Family Court
- Moderator, Boston Bar Association Bench/Bar Program with five Probate and Family Court Justices
- Moderator, MCLE’s Family Court Judicial Forum
- Panelist, MCLE’s Family Law Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Chair, MCLE’s Divorce Law Basics
- Panelist, MCLE’s Probate, Will And Trust Litigation Basics
- Member, MCLE’s Family Law Curriculum Advisory Committee
- Co-Chair of MCLE’s Annual Family Law Conference
- Panelist, MBA Annual Family Law Conference
- Panelist, MCLE’s Trying a Divorce Case
- Presenter, Boston Bar Association Trust and Estates Section, Recent Developments in Fiduciary Litigation
- Participated in authoring section on Discovery in Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education’s Divorce Law Practice Manual
Professional Activities and Associations
- Member and past Co-Chair of the Family Law Section of the Boston Bar Association
- Member and past Co-Chair of the Fiduciary Litigation Committee of the Trust and Estates Section of the Boston Bar Association
- Member of the Boston Estate Planning Council
- Member of the New England Advisory Board of the American Academy for Certified Financial Litigators – AACFL®
- Member of the Professional Advisory Committee of the Brookline Community Foundation
- Mr. Gurdin is admitted to the Massachusetts and New York state bars
- “I met Mr. Gurdin during a difficult life milestone, after a false start with another attorney. At that point, I was looking for a consummate professional who is: crisply organized; highly experienced; down to earth; a lucid teacher of what to expect along the way; openly communicative; and a natural, self-directed leader working effectively for closure. I found Steve to be all of these things…and something more. He is a whole human being. Even under adversity, it was a pleasure to get to know him, and it has been a pleasure to stay in touch ever since.”
- “Steve Gurdin represented me in a difficult contested divorce proceeding that involved complicated financial and child custody issues. Steve continuously demonstrated a well reasoned, practical approach while at the same time was an effective, zealous advocate in the Probate and Family Court. Steve always was thoroughly prepared when we went to court, depositions and settlement meetings. I highly recommend Steve as a family law attorney.”
- “Steve Gurdin has advised and represented me for years in both my divorce and post divorce matters. Steve is a skilled professional who has a great ability to both problem solve and advocate. When my case required thoughtful reasonableness he talked me off the ledge while my emotions were getting the better of me. When my case required tough negotiating, Steve delivered. Steve provided me top rate representation with a reasonable fee structure. I highly recommend Steve.”
- “I could not be more satisfied with the firm of Fitch Law Partners LLP in my recent divorce and custody agreement. I researched Boston area divorce attorneys extensively before meeting Steve Gurdin. I knew he would be my final choice on the day I met him. I never once regretted that decision. Steve listened, advised, advocated and kept me well informed throughout the divorce proceedings. He directed me when decisions were clear, and helped me decide and participate when strategies were a matter of choice. His confidence and experience put me at ease throughout a very difficult process. Although my divorce was painful and something I wish I could have avoided in life, I am very satisfied with the outcome, and I’m grateful to Steve for who he is, and the way he represented me.”
- “Steve Gurdin helped my family with a Probate, Will And Trust Litigation matter in Middlesex County. As an attorney myself, I have known Steve for a number of years and thoroughly trusted his skill and advice to my non-lawyer family members in need of his services. Although not a sizable estate, Steve treated the case as importantly as other more sizable matters, and worked with my family on a fee structure that made sense. Fraught with stress and anxiety as such matters often are, Steve was wonderful about explaining the various options to my family members and giving sound advice as to strategy and, ultimately, resolution of the case. I have the utmost confidence and respect for Steve’s ability as an attorney, and also for his ability to recognize the human element in these cases. Thank you Steve!”
- “Steven Gurdin represented me in a contentious and drawn-out divorce that involved complicated assets of significant value. It was a painful process, one that I never imagined would happen, and one that I would never want to have happen again. But when I look back on the results, I know that I made the right decision by choosing Steve. He made the process less painful, less expensive, and ultimately steered the outcome to terms that I was more than willing to accept. I met with several potential attorneys when I was preparing to file for divorce. Steve impressed me with his knowledge and experience of how the divorce process works, and his interest and attention to my situation. I learned after the process started that Steve’s relationships with the court system and other attorneys were also of great value. Steve is known and trusted by the other professionals who determine the outcome of a divorce, and his relationships enable him to craft solutions that win approval in less time–and with less expense–than might otherwise be negotiated. Probably most importantly, though, Steve cares genuinely for the interests of any children that might be involved in the divorce. He helped me to understand how I might best maintain a relationship with my daughter, during and after the divorce process. For that, and for his excellent help in achieving a favorable settlement, I thank Steve. I am pleased to recommend him very, very highly to anyone who faces the complicated and painful issues of divorce.”
- “I am a divorced father and came to Attorney Gurdin (Steve) seeking increased parenting time with my children, as well as a change to a school system that I felt better met their educational needs. The case was highly contentious, dragged on for well over a year, and involved an extensive GAL investigation. We fortunately settled this case just before going to trial, and I’m elated to say that my sons now spend more time in my home and will be attending a superb middle school. It’s clear to me that without Steve’s expert guidance at every step of the way, the outcome would have been far less favorable. Steve is truly a consummate professional. He is always available, and incredibly responsive to calls and emails. He is not only well-versed in the law and highly experienced, but, perhaps more importantly, he has consistently sound judgment and instincts. He doesn’t make mistakes. Steve is a true humanist and showed deep compassion for the plight of my children. He always put their needs front and center, understanding that the case was about them and not me. Having said that, he was also a source of great comfort and reassurance to me when things were darkest. Steve has great interpersonal skills and “connects” with others effortlessly. I truly think the world of Steve, both as a professional and as a human being. My children and I will forever be indebted to him. Though it may sound trite, his work has truly changed the trajectory of our lives.”