James B. Re
Mr. Re's varied trial and appellate experience includes the representation of ship owners in charter party, contract, collision, personal injury and cargo damage cases; defending utilities and other large institutions in personal injury and property damage claims of every type; defending medical malpractice actions; the defense of civil RICO claims against corporations and individuals; representing manufacturers and distributors in product liability cases involving consumer electronics, industrial machinery, and other goods; the defense of sexual harassment and age discrimination claims; litigation and arbitration of partnership disputes; representing lawyers in disciplinary proceedings; and general business and banking litigation.
Education And Distinctions
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
- Boston State College, B.A.
- Listed in multiple years in Massachusetts Super Lawyers®
- A Best Lawyer in America® in Commercial Litigation
- Ranked AV Preeminent® by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory®
More About James B. Re
From 2003 through 2006 Mr. Re was a member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers and was appointed Vice-Chair on January 1, 2006. Mr. Re served for almost a decade on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court’s Standing Advisory Committee on the Rules of Professional Conduct, the Court’s advisors on the ethical rules that govern Massachusetts lawyers. For many years, he served as a member of the teaching team for the Harvard Law School Winter Trial Advocacy Workshop and has been elected a Massachusetts Super Lawyer by his fellow members of the Massachusetts bar.
Cases of Note
- Heinrich v. Sweet, 308 F.3d 48 (1st Cir. 2002), cert. denied, 123 S.Ct. 2272 (2003) (medical malpractice defense involving standard of care and causation)
- Willis v. Lipton, 947 F.2d 998, RICO Bus. Disp. Guide 7870 (1st Cir. 1991) (standing to sue under RICO statute)
- City of Boston v. S.S. TEXACO TEXAS, 773 F.2D 1396, 1986 A.M.C. 676 (1st Cir. 1985) (maritime collision and contract-based indemnity)
- Alexander v. Trustees of Boston University, 766 F.2d 630, 54 USLW 2033, 26 Ed. Law Rep. 55 (1st Cir. 1985) (religious freedom)
- Maddalone v. Okada Shosen, KK, 756 F.2d 886, 1986 A.M.C. 304, 1 Fed. R. Serv.3d 1084 (1st Cir. 1985) (defense of longshoreman’s personal injury action)
- Marcial Ucin, S.A. v. SS GALICIA, 723 F.2d 994, 38 F.R.Serv.2d 407 (1st Cir. 1983) (personal jurisdiction over foreign defendant in cargo damage case)
- Goulet v. Whitin Mach. Works, Inc., 399 Mass. 547 (1987) (product liability)
- Mammoet USA Inc. v. Entergy Nuclear Generation Co., 64 Mass. App. Ct. 37 (2005) (defense of mechanics lien claim against nuclear power plant)
- Sweet v. United States, 63 Fed. Cl. 591 (2005) (contractual indemnity claim against federal government)
Teaching and Publications
- Member of teaching team for the Harvard Law School Winter Trial Advocacy Workshop
Professional Activities and Associations
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Admitted to the Massachusetts state bar, the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, the United States Court of Federal Claims, and the United States Supreme Court.