Ryan M. Cunningham
Mr. Cunningham’s practice is focused on complex commercial litigation in the areas of commercial agreements, intellectual property, breach of fiduciary duty, and unfair and deceptive trade practices. Mr. Cunningham’s practice also focuses on the defense of banks and other financial institutions in tort and contract matters. Mr. Cunningham has represented individuals, manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, venture capital and hedge funds, and closely held corporations and partnerships.
Education And Distinctions
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude; Director Esdaile Moot Court Competition, Edward F. Hennessey Scholar
- Wesleyan University, B.A. Government and French Studies
- New England Super Lawyers® 2013-2015, 2018, and Massachusetts Rising Star 2012
More About Ryan M. Cunningham
Mr. Cunningham has represented commercial clients in connection with claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, trademark infringement and unfair and deceptive trade practices. He has represented banking institutions in foreclosure actions, lender liability matters, and check fraud matters.
Mr. Cunningham’s commercial clients include AcBel Polytech, Inc., QIAGEN, Inc., Salon Marc Harris, Cayan LLC, Fusion Tech Integrated, Inc., and Prithvi Information Solutions, Ltd.
Mr. Cunningham’s banking clients include Bank of America, Boston Private Bank and Trust Co., Capital One, and Eastern Bank.
Prior to joining FITCH in 2009, Mr. Cunningham spent four years as a litigator at Foley Hoag, LLP, with a focus on complex commercial litigation and accountants’ professional liability.
Cases of Note
As An Advocate
- Reached a multi-million dollar settlement for clients who were minority investors in a hedge fund company. The case settled after a jury trial had begun.
- Achieved a favorable settlement of a class action against certain Dunkin Donuts franchisees brought pursuant to Massachusetts’ unfair and deceptive practices statute.
- Defended a complaint and achieved a favorable settlement on client’s counterclaims for a custom equipment fabrication company in a dispute with a supplier of a laser cutting system.
- Achieved summary judgment for our client, a software development company, against allegations it had assumed the liabilities and responsibilities of another developer upon purchasing certain of its assets.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss of all claims against our banking client by a former homeowner suing the bank to reclaim his property after a judicial affirmation of the foreclosure.
Professional Activities and Associations
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Alpha Delta Phi Literary Society
- Member, Wesleyan Lawyers Group
- Admitted to the Massachusetts and Rhode Island state bars, the United States District Court for the Districts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.